THE COMMERCIAL SECTOR
The commercial sector is one of the most noticeable sectors concerned with the rationalization of electric power consumption. Below you can find out more about the huge expansions witnessed by this sector over the previous five years
More (This Content is only available in Arabic only).
- In some commercial buildings, the electricity consumption rate for lighting
has reached more than (30%) of the total consumed power.
- The optimal use of lighting.
- Utilization of the natural light as much as possible reduces up to (25%) of the electricity consumption for lighting.
- The use of energy saving lamps reduces up to (30%) of electricity consumption for lighting.
- Switching off the lights when not in use or when leaving the place reduces up to (30%) of electricity consumption for lighting.
- Selection of the proper lighting intensity.
The Meaning of Thermal Insulation :
It is to keep cool air from leaving the building in the summer and warm air from getting outside of the building in the winter. Heat is lost through walls and ceilings (60-70%), windows, and ventilation slots.
The thermal insulation in a building : is
the usage of substances that have heat-insulating properties which help in preserving the interior temperature of the building. This feature will make the building cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It is considered one of the most basic methods for saving electric power.
Merits of Thermal Insulation :
- Reduction of electricity consumption for cooling and heating (reduces the consumption rate within limit at 45%).
- Raise the level of building occupants' comfort (constant temperatures throughout the year in the range of 25-27 degrees).
- Decrease of the air conditioner's capacity and maintenance costs.
- Protection of the building from temperature fluctuations (protection from thermal strains and humidity).
- Protection of the decorations and appliances from external factors.
- Environmental protection and decrease the amount of pollution.
The Optimal Use of Electric Power in the Markets and Commercial Centers (Malls) :
- Set up a specialized unit in the market, mall, or commercial center to monitor the electric load and the application of raising the efficiency of electric power usage.
- Carry out a review of the rationalization instructions for air conditioning, lighting, and insulation as per the leaflets issued by the Company.
- Set the air conditioner thermostat at a minimum during the peak period.
- Install automatic operation function device on escalators so that it will only operate when needed.
- Provide spare power generator and ensure its operational readiness and maintenance for use in the event of a power outage.
- Replace exterior building lights with energy efficient ones, and try, as much as possible, to reduce the number of lights in use particularly during the summer months.
- Use light sensitive control devices that allows the lamps to switch on when it gets dark and switch off during daylight. The use of such type of devices to control lighting saves a lot of electricity.
- The market management must participate in the awareness about the optimal use of electricity through banners and quiz competitions.
- If possible, delay the use of electrical appliances and devices during peak load period (1 pm to 5 pm) during the months of summer.
- Carrying out the abovementioned energy saving tips shall reduce the monthly bills in commercial centers and the like.
- The use of cold storing technique in cooling the building :
This technique allows the utilization of the tariff concession prices and decrease the monthly bills.
- Reduction in the electric capacity of the facility and decrease the electric service delivery fees.
- Participate in the load shifting programs and take advantage of the motivational offers provided by the Company.
- Reduce the loads during peak times and help contribute in uninterruptible supply of electricity.