OUR INITIATIVES FOR ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Saudi Electricity Company produces electrical power using different resources including non-renewable energy and natural material and resources. The ever-increasing demand for electricity means exhaustion of these resources, increasing pollution as a result from fuel burning, using different types of oils, in addition to generating wastes from the company’s various operations, a situation making us face a big challenge and push us to double our efforts and responsibility toward environment protection.
In this context, the company has developed and published its environmental policy with the aim of preserving the environment and public health and supporting sustainable development with a commitment to national and international environmental standards. It also formed a technical team representing all activities of the company and developed an implementation plan including objectives, scheduled programs, tasks and responsibilities in order to activate this policy and translate it into reality, which resulted in :
Limiting Air Pollution
It is known that power-generation plants use fossil fuel whose combustion results in the emission of air-polluting gases and pollutants through the chimneys of the generation units. In this respect, the company is always keen to build power-generating plants outside the
cities and communities, and avoid building them in areas congested with factories
and other facilities, so it does not scale up air-pollution ratios in these places. For curbing pollution, we also do the following :
- Using the clean fuel such as natural gas and diesel, as polluting elements is low in their components. In this respect, we have achieved outstanding successes as most of the plants use natural gas for power generation. Also huge funds were spent to modify the generation units in Power Plants at the ninth, eights and seventh stations in Riyadh, which were previously operated by using crude fuel and are now
operating on natural fuel.
- Using the Developed Combustion Equipment (DLN) which produces lower ratios of Nitrogen Oxide in the Gas-Turbines, as Nitrogen Oxide is among the major pollutants in the power plants using fossil fuel. Application of DLN equipment has been effective in environment protection.
- Using Electrostatic Precipitators in units operated by heavy fuel
to reduce the emission of suspended residues.
- Using Flue Gas Desulphurization (FGD) technology to reduce the
emission of the air-contaminating Sulfuric Oxide gas, and the company never hesitated to invest billions in this field in its new projects.
- Using high-efficiency assembled generation units which use the exhaust pipes of the generating units as thermal sources for the boilers, instead of burning fuel.
- Executing advanced stages of the electrical linkage between the Kingdom’s regions which contributed to the reduction of the revolving reserve in the network, and subsequently reduced the air-polluted emission which resulted from burning more fuel.
- Stopping the use of certain chemicals harmful to the environment and health such as Freon (12), Methane Trilateral Chloride, Halen and Asbestos, and replacing them with harmless materials.
- Reducing fuel consumption in company vehicles by (5%).
- Committing to use harmless pesticides.
- Stopping using diesel cranes in the warehouses and replace them with electrical cranes when needed.
- Following up concentrations of emissions from the generation plants by means of updating the environmental records.
Limiting of Water Pollution
especially with limited resources, is one of the main environmental problems and challenges in the Kingdom and we in the company are working to limit the water pollution through our activities and operations as follows :
- Not adding any chemical materials to the cooling water drained back to the sea, except the chlorine which is added to control the growth of water organisms harmful to the plant’s equipment, and we control the addition of chlorine so as not to exceed the allowed ratios in accordance with the environment protection standards in the Kingdom, by using devices for measuring chlorine concentrations rates in water permanently to enable operators to control these ratios.
- Treating wastewater from boilers and separating fuel residues
from the water tanks prior to sending it to the evaporation ponds.
- Controlling the degree of cooling water drained into the sea, within the allowed limits.
- Utilizing sanitary water, after being biologically treated for irrigation purposes to increase the green coverage within the area of power plants and associated residential quarters, while reducing the use of potable water.
- Drawdown of fuel and oil residues through contracts with qualified companies to ensure non-pollution of the environment. Oil-contaminated water usually passes through several phases for separation of oil from water and disposing it via environmentally safe methods.
- Conducting marine surveys of coastal areas to assess the
environmental influences of the electric power-generation plants on water
quality marine sediments as and the biological diversity in the marine
- Updating and applying the general plan of emergency to cope
with the face of environmental emergency situations.
Limiting Soil Contamination
Considered one of the most prominent and complicated and difficult-to-solve problems of environment. We are keen to use environmentally- friendly materials of various kinds for controlling soil contamination; we have been successful in the following :
- Preparing and applying programs to reduce spills, and
- Removing all power transformers that use oils containing carcinogenic
substances such as (PCB) to ensure that no contamination is caused to the soil,
surface water, and groundwater in order to secure the safety of humans,
animals, and plants.
- Using (SF6) to isolate gas in the electrical switches instead of
oils, which contribute in reducing the possibilities of leakage, seepage, and
subsequently water and soil pollution.
- Using Dry Cables of (XLPE ) type instead of oil cables for minimization of probabilities of leakage water and soil contamination.
- Replacing all the currently used insecticides with less
- Continuing the implementation of agreements with qualified
contractors to get rid of petroleum and oil residues in the generation plants
in ways that will not cause harm to the environment.
- Constantly cooperating with local and international
universities and research centers to create suitable solutions to the problem
of carbonic ashes.
Reduction of Wastes :
The improper management of waste may cause harmful effects to the public health and environment. In this context, the Company, represented by its environmental protection team, prepared a guide for waste management within the programs of the executive plan for environmental protection in the Company. Waste management will be undertaken through identification of procedures that must be used for safe handling of wastes throughout the different management stages, from accumulation to disposal stage.
As wastes are
generated from several activities and operations of the company. Overwhelmingly hazardous inputs are added to the waste, though in small doses, and remain there until the disposal of whole waste, where adequate safety measures could be lacking, hence exposing employees to health risks and/or cause environment pollution.
In this framework classification of all types of waste in the Company was completed, besides putting in place a mechanism for safe disposal, in accordance with the General Regulation for Environment. The following has been achieved in this regard :
- Safe disposal of all medical and municipal waste generated by the activities and operations of the Company through specialized contractors, with emphasis on storage in containers marked with distinguished colors, and located in designated places.
- Supervision of the waste generation process, from production to disposal, to ensure its effective management for excluding the possibility of polluting resources of ground waters and the soil.
- Reducing of the amount of waste arising from the company's activities and operations, and be successful in the field of recycling and reuse.
- Continuing implementation of the agreements for the disposal of petroleum waste and oil at the generation plants with qualified contractors, in proper ways to avoid harming the environment.
The company is committed to preventing occurrence of diseases related to its activities, operations, and applications, protecting the health of its workers, their families, and the public. Also, it provides support for the payment of
treatment costs and for maintaining a healthy work environment through the
- Collecting and storing of medical waste of the company in designated places marked with particular color, pending safe disposal by specialized contractors.
- Assessing the quality of water from the source to the network, to ensure its freedom from risky biological elements and chemical contaminators and that it is safe to use. Water sources, such as wells and water or their distribution systems are subject to regular inspection to guarantee compliance with the national standards.
- Monitoring sewage and industrial water drainage systems in the company’s establishments to ensure adherence to the measures of the General Regulation for Environment and Public Health protection.
- Monitoring waste generation and disposal process to ensure effective management of waste and to avoid the possibility of polluting the ground water resources and soil.
- Committing to reducing the negative effects of noise, emitting from the different activities of the company, including power production plants, transformers in urban areas to bring the noise level within the international standards during the construction process.
- Installing power lines within safe routes in compliance with
- Reduce occupational diseases.
- Safe removal of all the wastes resulting from the activities
and operations of the SEC which weigh (13,349) tons.
- The safe disposal of all medical wastes on the sites of the
company which weigh (7.7) tons/year.
Support Sustainable Development
Meeting the current generation’s needs without jeopardizing the rights of future generations of natural resources is considered one of the most critical environmental problems faced by the
countries of the world in general and KSA in particular. In this regard, the company has achieved
numerous accomplishments in protecting and preserving natural resources
through the following :
- Reducing the rate of consumption of electrical energy in the company premises by (0.5%).
- Reducing paper consumption by (1%) in the company.
- Improving procedures for receiving fuel and controlling its
- Accomplishing advanced phases in the process of electrical linkage between the Kingdom's regions, a factor that will significantly contribute to minimization of energy loss.
- Using combined-cycle generation units, since these units are
used as heating sources for boilers to produce steam instead of burning fuel.
- Separating fuel residues from drain water tanks prior to
reusing the water.
- Using timers to switch off lights, A/Cs, and computer systems after the working hours as well as replacing ordinary lightening and computer systems with energy-saving ones, and considering securing of daylight while designing the new buildings of the company.
- Using treated sewage water for irrigation instead of potable water.
- Using water conservation methods in the company's WC's and facilities.
- Printing on both sides of the paper, and preventing color
printing for the internal correspondences of the company.
- Conducting periodic maintenance of company's equipment and
systems to maintain their utmost operational efficiency.
- Establishing a solar power plant at Farasan Island which generates
(860) thousand KWH per annum.
- Establishing a power generation plant using combined-cycle
units (Power Plant 10) which runs on treated sanitary water.
The company organizes a variety of programs in order to enhance the level of environmental awareness and educate its staff and the public on the significance of the environment and why we are keen to care about them and maintain them. In this field we have delivered many awareness programs through the following activities :
- Providing environmental
awareness lectures, brochures, materials, leaflets, and stickers to reach everyone.
- Allocating a webpage dedicated
to the environment in the company's intranet.
- Publishing environmental
slogans for enhancing awareness on the importance of maintaining the environment and preserving consumption of energy, water and materials.
- Providing specialized
training courses on environmental protection, within the scope of the company's
- Qualifying the concerned
cadres and enabling them to attend training courses to obtain international certificates in the field of environmental protection.
- Cooperating with
concerned parties from inside and outside the Kingdom, and involve in
exchanging experiences with experts and specialists in the field of
environmental protection through attendance and participation in environmental
seminars and conferences.
employees selected from the various departments of the company on the application
of the "Environmental Management System".
- Training employees selected from the various departments of the company on the
application of the "Waste Management System".
- Training employees selected from the various departments of the company on assessing the
"Environmental Consistency" program.
- Training employees
selected from the various departments of the company on "Educating the
- Preparing and printing
awareness booklets on the role of the company in the environmental
protection program "Bee’atona" (Our Environment).
- Developing mechanisms to
deliver lectures on environmental awareness and their contents.
- Preparing a company guide
for waste management.
Contingent Environmental Cases :
In order to be at maximum alert against contingent environmental cases :
- Updating the general emergency plan to be ready for dealing with the contingent environmental issues.
- Preparing a detailed plan across all the company power plants
to respond to radiation and nuclear emergencies.
The company, in coordination with governmental organizations, participates in many activities aiming at preservation of environment in the Kingdom through the following
- Participating in the development of national indicators for
the environment and sustainable development.
- Participating in formulation and updating of national plans for responding to radiological and nuclear emergencies.
- Participating in developing and implementing the executive plan for protecting the environment in the city of Riyadh, and attending the meetings of its higher and technical committees.
- Continuing coordination with the General Presidency of Meteorology and Environmental Protection and the General Control Bureau as regarding protection of environment.
- Preparing the quarterly environmental reports and forwarding them to the General Presidency of Meteorology and Environment Protection.
- Participation and Sponsorship of environmental conferences and
events locally and internationally.
- Participation and Sponsorship for national campaigns for cleaning
up the cities and provinces of the Kingdom.
- Undertaking awareness campaign for rationalization of papers consumption within the company entitled "Paperless Day".
To maintain the aesthetic character of the Kingdom’s towns and improve their overall pictures, the company contributes to reduction of visual pollution through :
- Spending of huge funds to replace its areal electricity-transition lines network by safe underground conduits. Therefore, the Company has an advantage over many advanced countries, which are still using the aerial networks within their towns.
- When designing its buildings, the company takes into account highlighting the aesthetic aspect of its buildings as well as selecting the best sites for establishments and facilities, especially in the customers’ reception buildings.
- Keeping (3%) of the company property a green area.
- Participating in the national campaign for cleaning up Riyadh city.